Fire stick won't connect to Wi-Fi | Troubleshooting guide
Troubleshooting guide for Fire stick won’t connect to Wi-Fi
This guide is helpful to those who face issues like…..
- Fire stick won’t connect to Wi-Fi.
- Who face trouble connecting fire TV Stick with a wireless router.
- Amazon fire stick won’t stay connected to Wi-Fi.
- Fire stick Wi-Fi, not in range.
- Amazon fire stick keeps losing internet connection.
- Fire stick not connecting to the TV.
- Amazon fire stick home is currently unavailable.
You can jump to the Specific section from here
- Setup Wi-Fi in Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Requirements for Fire TV Stick Setup
- Troubleshoot Error “Fire stick won’t connect to Wi-Fi”
- Reasons – Fire TV Stick Wi-Fi Connectivity Error
- Advanced troubleshooting for fire TV stick Wi-Fi connectivity and registration failure error
- able to connect fire TV sticks to Wi-Fi?
- Troubleshoot registration failure errors during fire stick setup
- Here is Amazon Fire TV stick Registration Process.
- Here is amazon fire Tv stick deregistration process
Before troubleshooting error “Fire stick won’t connect to Wi-Fi “lets, 1st learn whole new network requirements.
For that, we will go through step by step procedure of how to set up Wi-Fi on Amazon Fire tv stick.
Setup Wi-Fi in Amazon Fire TV Stick
Below are the steps to setup Amazon fire TV stick, along with setup process you will get familiar with the entire network, router/modem requirements needed for the setup process.
Also, you will come to know various errors that you may face during the setup process like Fire stick won’t connect to Wi-Fi.
Things required for fire TV stick setup.
Requirements for Fire TV Stick Setup
- A smart TV compatible with fire TV stick, you can simply Google for compatible devices and if you have one you can ask your manufacturer.
- A fire TV stick, you can buy one from here
- For Fire TV stick 1st and 2nd generation you need HDMI cable to connect to Fire Stick Supports Male to Male HDMI cables.
- You don’t need to buy an HDMI cable if you have a 3rd generation Fire TV stick. 3rd generation devices have an inbuilt HDMI cable
- Working Wireless network connection. A dual-band Wi-Fi router having network frequency ranging from 2.4 GHz to 5.0 GHz.
- If you are having fire TV stick 3rd generation you need a separate Ethernet adapter for connecting fire stick to the wireless network.
- Last but not the least an Amazon account from where you just bought the fire stick and your account must be configured correctly (Language and country)
Note:- If you recently moved to another country than change the country and language in account setting. Otherwise, you can get error “Fire stick won’t connect to Wi-Fi ” as well as ” Registration Failure Error”
Amazon Fire TV Stick Setup Steps
- Prepare your Amazon fire TV stick for 1st use, unbox it.
- Plug in fire TV stick to the power adapter.
- Once connected, connect one of HDMI port with a fire stick.
- Remember the HDMI port of TV where you connect the HDMI cable as in next phase you have to select corresponding input channel.
- Just turn on your TV, and select correct input channel. Use your TV remote to check that the TV input is set to correct HDMI port.
Configure Fire TV Stick
- Once input channel is selected you can see fire stick logo on the screen.
- Now turn on your remote by inserting AAA batteries into
- Pair your remote with fire TV stick. In normal situation pairing process start and process automatically however if you are not able to pair remote automatically, just press the home button of your remote for 10 sec or so and it will push the device into pairing mode. Just complete the paring process.
Connect and setup device
- Connect your device to the internet, it’s pretty simple, during 1st setup you just need to follow the on-screen instruction to complete the setup, in the middle of process device will ask you to save the password to Amazon, you can do it as with this you will no need to type the password each time you want to reconnect after disconnecting.
- If the connection to the network is not automated, you just need to go into setting then click on network, select the network you want to connect with.
- If you don’t see your network try rescanning and if everything fails than click on “join other networks”, select desired network, enter the password and complete process.
- You will see a confirmation message once the connection to Wi-Fi is successful.
- Once Wi-Fi connection established, your device will be reregistered, it is also automatic process however if you get error here like ” Fire stick won’t connect to Wi-Fi”, “registration failure error” or error 10: x: x: x: x format error there are possible causes that you are using a stolen or gifted device or a used fire TV stick.
Register and Enjoy
- We do have a separate guide on how to register and deregister your device and a troubleshooting guide to fix error ” Fire stick won’t connect to Wi-Fi “you get during registration.
- Once your device is registered you will see a confirmation message that setup completed and you will see the whole new dashboard of Amazon TV stick having tons of menu options like games, movies, music etc.
- Start using your device
Now you know the correct process for setting Amazon fire stick device with any supported TV.
However many users can’t complete the setup process and get many errors like “can’t connect to Wi-Fi”, “pairing not successful” or even “registration failure error” and many more errors of some kind. In that case, all you need is to follow our troubleshooting guide.
Cant setup fire tv stick device and getting the error ” Fire stick won’t connect to Wi-Fi “
Do call us @ 1-877-773-5395 for instant support
Troubleshoot Error “ Fire stick won't connect to Wi-Fi ”
If you are facing trouble while setting up Amazon fire TV stick especially during connecting device to the wireless network then please read this guide. If Fire stick won’t connect to Wi-Fi than this guide has all troubleshooting steps.
We will 1st list the reasons that can trigger up interruption during Wi-Fi connectivity.
Reasons – Fire TV Stick Wi-Fi Connectivity Error
In most of the case, it’s the wireless router that causes an error “Amazon fire stick won’t stay connected to Wi-Fi “during fire TV stick setup.
Sometimes we noticed that wireless router of the user is not compatible with fire TV stick, as mentioned above your router must be a dual-band having the frequency of 2.4 to 5.0 GHz. Anything different than that is not supported and do cause error during setup & Fire stick won’t connect to Wi-Fi.
If your router meet the fire TV stick requirement and you still are not able to connect, possibilities are high that router configuration is incorrect. It can happen because of these- SSID for both bands is same, network security type is wrong and dos protection is on. And you may get Error like “Firestick Wi-Fi, not in range”
Some time user can face setup interruptions if they are typing the wrong password and we found fire TV stick is very sensitive to a special character in Wi-Fi password.
Outdates software version
Many a time user can’t complete the setup process if fire TV stick or wireless router is having outdated software.
Wrong Amazon account
If you are using a different Amazon account to set up fire TV stick you can face trouble setting up the device. You have to use same Amazon account from where you purchased the device.
Wrong account setting
If your language and location setting is incorrect you can’t connect to Wi-Fi and can’t complete the setup process.
Also, if you moved recently to another country after purchasing the device from another country, the setup process is most likely to be interrupted e.g. if you trying to set up a USA bought fire stick in the UK you will get setup error. In these cases, the error can be multiple 1.e. “Fire stick Wi-Fi error ” and ” Registration failure error “
Gifted or used fire TV stick device
If you are using a previously used device if can’t complete setup process unless or until the owner of the device has already deregistered device, same is with the gifted
Note: – while gifting fire TV stick to anyone please makes sure you have checked the option “It is a gift” before checkout. Amazon has already provided an option if you want to gift a device.
There are many more reasons for connectivity and registration failure error during setup however we mentioned most of them.
Advanced troubleshooting for fire TV stick Wi-Fi connectivity
Fix Router Related Errors to resolve error ” Fire stick won’t connect to Wi-Fi “
1st of all login to router admin panel.
Don’t know how to log in? Don’t worry, we will guide you
- To log in to router admin panel, all you need is router login page.
- For router login page click on this link and find the login page (Login IP) URL according to manufacturer
- Just paste the Login IP into browser address bar and hit enter
If you entered a correct IP address it will redirect you to login page all you have to do is type username and password given by the manufacturer.
Don’t have username and password? Don’t worry we will teach you how to find one.
- See back side or front side of your router, you will see something like username and password there.
- It is default username and password for your router login.
- Don’t have login info on the router?
- Click on this link and find default username and password according to the manufacturer.
Still can’t find one?
Call on 1-877-773-5395 for Assistance
Fire Stick won’t connect to Wi-Fi even after basic troubleshooting.
Once you logged in to router admin the actual troubleshooting starts.
Note:- Router admin panel may be different in each case according to your manufacturer, however, you must follow the instruction given ( for reference we are taking Netgear router into consideration)
- In admin dashboard do click on the wireless setting, under wireless setting you will see a separate dashboard for dual-band For different router the dashboard is different. We are sharing screenshot for net gear router. Basic settings will be same.
- All you have to do make sweet little tweaks
- Do rename both the bands i.e. 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz; you can see an SSID column there. Make sure SSID name for the bands is different.
- Also Do change channel value, for 2.4 GHz band channel value must be anywhere from 1 to 11 and for 5.0 GHz band the channel value must be 36-48 or 149-165 depends on manufacturer and location.
- Now you have to change the network security type, it must be set to WPA2.
- Under WAN setup, you have to enable the option “disable port scan and dos protection”.
- You can see wan setup under “Advanced router setup/settings”
- Under network setting you will see option interface; here you have to disable IPV 6 option.
- Also, create a guest account with any security.
- Save all the setting and close the router panel.
Repeat the setup process
Still not able to connect fire TV sticks to Wi-Fi?
Again Getting error ” Fire stick won’t connect to Wi-Fi “
- Reset your router, you just have to press a secret little hole at the back of your router. see the image below.
- Eliminate network congestion that can cause interference while making the connection. Do remove all electromagnetic instruments that come in between TV and router.
- Make sure your network speed is good enough to make a connection.
- Do connect Amazon echo 2.4 GHz network if your router is far from TV and connect to 5.0 GHz connection if the router is having good signal strength.
- Go to TV network settings, forget the network you are currently connected, rescan the network and connect again to the desired network and see if that works
- Rotate your TV or router 45 or 90 degrees. Rotation can dramatically affect the signals.
Once you made all the setting, repeat the setup process
Still facing the issue and Amazon fire stick keeps losing internet connection
Contact support team for quick resolution
Facing error registering your device during setup
Troubleshoot registration failure errors during fire stick setup
This guide is going to help all those guys who face errors during setup with a pop-up message. Registration failure error.
This guide will also help if you want to learn registration and deregistration process of fire TV stick.
Registration error happens only if…..
- The Amazon account you are using for registering the device is incorrect.
- Or the device you are trying to setup is reported stolen or lost.
- In some case, you can face this issue if fire stick device you are trying to setup is using outdated software version.
- If you are using a gifted or previously owned device you will get issue while setting up the device.
So here we start the correct process.
Follow it according to your requirement.
Situation 1 – Device is bought by you and it is a brand new device
In this case, do one thing
- Instead of setting up fire TV stick , first login to your account and go to orders, see if your Amazon fire TV stick in order information, see the delivery status, if it shows status delivered than you are good to go, if the status in undelivered you have wait for some time until Amazon do update the delivery status.
You can even call Amazon support to update the delivery status and once the information is updated you are up for setup.
- Make sure the account you are using to set up fire tv stick is same as from where you purchased the device.
- Device password, make sure is correct, you can also change the password and repeat the setup process with the correct Eliminate special character in the password
Location and Account setting troubleshooting
- Cross check if Amazon emails are not going to spam or junk box if so add Amazon email to trusted contacts.
- In many chase users account location and language settings are incorrect, to fix login into account go to account setting and change the location to correct one.
e.g if you purchased the device while living in the USA from USA Amazon account at that time location and language was set to USA English and let us suppose that now you are trying to setup device from the UK than all you have to do is set location and language to UK English.
To Change, location go into your Amazon account ↔ Your Account ↔ content and devices
- Under content and devices click on setting tab and now click on change country.
- Fill all fields hit save and follow on-screen instruction.
- And last what not the least make sure that you are not using a gifted device.
Perform the setup process now.
Solution -2 For Gifted and used Fire TV Stick devices
As reported fire TV stick is one of the most purchased device last festival session and many guys gifted this device to there close relatives, friends, parents and grandparents from Amazon.
IF you are trying to set up a gifted device setup failure possibilities are very high to get an error. Fire stick won’t connect to Wi-Fi and registration failure error in fire stick.
Let’s understand this case before troubleshooting.
As we know amazon fire Tv stick get intelligence from cloud storage and for that Amazon need to assign ownership to each device.
So while purchasing fire stick from Amazon, the device is assigned to that particular account and during the setup process, the device tries to register to amazon cloud using the same account.
In case of the gifted device, the one who receives the gift will set up the device from his own Amazon account, however, the device was purchased from another account. So this cause account mismatch during the registration process. And user get error “registration failure”
Because Amazon server will consider this as stolen and lost the device and they do consider that someone else is using your device.
Note;- Whiling gifting any amazon smart home device i.e. amazon echo, echo dot, plus, look, show, spot or fire stick make sure to check the option “this is a gift “ before adding an item to cart.
By doing so you will tell Amazon that someone else is going to use the device and they do ship a device not assigned to an account. And the one who receives the gift can easily register it with own Amazon account.
Basic Troubleshooting for Gifted Devices
Already received the gifted amazon fire stick?
The one who gifted device forget to tell Amazon that it’s a gift?
Don’t worry there is one still solution to the problem and it’s really very simple.
All you need the help from the guy who gifted device to you.
The solution is simple.
Do connect fire tv stick to a smart tv, on Tv screen go to my account.
Under my account, you will see an option to deregister the device
Just click that and follow on-screen instructions
Once successfully registered, you will see an option to register the device?
However many users reported that they cant deregister the device using this method
In such case, you have to follow the advanced troubleshooting
The one who gifted device has to deregister the device from his Amazon account, once he successfully deregistered, the device is open to register for separate Amazon account.
Here is amazon fire Tv stick deregistration process
- Ask him/her ( the one who gifted device) to login to same Amazon account from where he purchased the device
- Now go into account and lists, a long list will appear all you have to do is to click on “Content and devices”
- A separate page will open, having 3 tabs i.e content, devices, Click on devices and you will see a list of all devices bought or linked to the account.
- Now click on gifted amazon fire tv stick from the list of devices.
- Scroll down a bit and you will a button “device action”, click on that and list of option will appear.
- Simply click on deregister and follow on-screen instructions.
- Congratulation the device is not linked to any Amazon account now.
Simple do register the device with your own Amazon account.
Don’t know how to register amazon Fire TV Stick?
Here is Amazon Fire TV stick Registration Process.
Connect the device to a power outlet and connect HDMI to fire TV and Smart Tv, Also select the correct Input Channel.
Once the Tv is On, you will see Fire TV Stick logo, You can start the registration process.
- Go to fire TV menu, setting.
- Now navigate to Device setting as shown in the screenshot.
- If the device is not registered you will see an option to register the device.
- Create an Amazon account if you don’t have one.
- Just follow on-screen instruction.
- During the process, it will ask for Amazon username and password to enter the one you own.
- Complete the setup process and you are good to go
Still Cant fix the error ” Fire stick won’t connect to Wi-Fi ” Do contact support team, you can also click on chat window to get instant support.